Sunday, January 18, 2015

Hubby's Picks REVEALED (HP41)

Well good morning everyone! It's a little damp and dreary over this way. Rainy season has finally set in. The kids are constantly fighting, which makes this mama a little irate at times. Thus a nice, bright manicure is definitely a need.

I've never attempted an argyle nail, and I thought Hubby would hate it since he hates argyle, but he says this is his favorite ever!


This took a bit of work, but it was an awesome one to rock. Everyone loved it and I got compliments everywhere I went. I want to try this out with a gold/white/peach combination.


Now I did mess up a smidge on the lines on the middle finger (they are slightly off center as I'm sure you can see), but I chalked it up to character.

Get the look:
  1. Lay down 1-2 layers of your base color. You should chose your lightest and least opaque color. I did Fingerpaints Where Art My Love.
  2. Take scotch tape and cut a piece off. Turn it diagonal and place on the nail about halfway up from the base. Choose your next lightest color and paint a layer of that. Immediately and carefully peel the tape back up. I chose Glam Polish Look at me I'm Sandra Dee.
  3. This is the tricky part. Make sure all layers are totally dry before attempting this part or the tape will undo all your hard work. Take two strips of scotch tape and lay them along the lines created by the second step, and cross them to leave a half diamond gap on the tip of your nail. Take your last color (Orly Smoked Out) and paint this last one and remove the tape. 
  4. Finally take your smallest striping brush, dip it in the last color and, starting at the base, draw lines up on the diagonal to reflect the lines already created. Repeat at the sides and up into the same color area.
  5. Top with your favorite top coat and you are done. If you choose lighter colors for the squares you could bring in a fourth color and do the lines in that.

So what do you think? Fun style? I can't wait to do it again in different color combinations.

8 comments:

  1. Your argyle print nails look great! Those colors really compliment each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! He did pick out a pretty winning combination this week.

      Delete
  2. This is so awesome looking! I can't wait to see a gold/white/peach combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's coming BUT I'm out of white. Which I don't understand, but this gives me an excuse to buy Essie Marshmallow ;)

      Delete
  3. All the spent time on this mani was worth it because it looks unique and absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really cool! Great colours too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm so tempted to try a traditional approach on argyle in colors too so we'll see. I think it'll be thing this year.

      Delete