Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Are they dupes? Butter London The Black Knight vs. Penelope Luz Bellatrix

Last week Liesl Loves Pretty Things posted this manicure showing off Penelope Luz Bellatrix and the first thing I thought of was Butter London The Black Knight. I asked her if she'd bring it along so we could compare, and she let me borrow her pretty for this comparison post:


First off Bellatrix is a deep purple much like Orly Fowl Play and The Black Knight has a black base. Next the glitters look similar, but they aren't entirely the same. Black Knight's glitters are slightly bigger and feature purple, blue, and silver glitters. Bellatrix purple and blue too, but also red, gold and green. The following is with no top coat so you can see that both are gritty.


The formula is smoother on Bellatrix although the base is more pigmented on Black Knight. Both show off their glitters nicely though The Black Knight dries just a bit too quickly and tends to clump a bit. After taking it off my pinky finger three times I decided to leave it as is so you can see.

Both become completely smooth with one coat of Seche Vite top coat. Below is two coats of each color with one layer of top coat:


Be sure to click the images to get a better look at the glitters. As you can clearly see these are not dupes at all. Two very unique polishes and I have to say I like Bellatrix better. Hope you enjoyed!

8 comments:

  1. Wow...I guess I was totally not paying attention to Liesl's post, because I had no idea Bellatrix had a purple base. One of those "I need caffeine" moments. Great comparison! :) I picked up something else that looks a whole lot like TBK and need to do a comparison on that one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my exact words were "a blackened jelly base" and I might have thrown in "indigo" so no worries but if you need more caffeine, love, then by all means... :)

      Delete
    2. I did very thin coats - this could totally build into a nearly black base with another coat. Also ALWAYS ALL THE CAFFEINE!!! I mean, uh, yes have another cup dearies. I will be on the look out for that comparison for sure!

      Delete
  2. Awesome comparison! I do like the finer glitter of Bellatrix but prefer the black jelly base of TBK... however, if TBK's formula is inferior then I'd rather not mess with that because I wasn't in love with Bellatrix's, either... but the sparkly rainbow makes the trouble worth it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely far more liquid then The Black Knight (I need to toss an edit up there...what was that about caffeine...) but anyhow, yeah, the formula is LACKING. I'm going to try some thinner to see if that helps it out a bit.

      Delete
  3. Ooooh, both are stunning! Definitely not dupes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not and there fore totally work owning right! Own all of the nail polish ;)

      Delete